GPS UPDATE NEEDED

The GPS systems that have come out in recent years are great but there is one little catch with the earlier models.  You had to go online to download updates to the maps and many times, the companies wanted to charge you about as much for the map update and they did for the original GPS unit.  I think many times our individual lives can be the same way.

YOUR DESTINATION
Sometimes I think we can be so focused on where we are going we lose track of how we go about getting there.  In the last 7 months, there have been EXTREMELY DRAMATIC changes in my life.  Commitment to my work for God, changing jobs, tackling some health issues and dealing with helping family members that look to me for help.  Really, for the last 30 years I have felt as though I knew "where" I was going with my life and for the most part, how I was going to get there.  But, I have to admit, the last 7 months have been the "map update" that I had not anticipated.  My destination is the same, but how I am getting there has somewhat changed.

GOD FIRST 
For the last 30 years of my life, I said God was first.  When I looked closer at my actions, I am not sure that I can say that He has been.  Not to say I have done anything bad or wrong as we as Christians would see bad or wrong but God just has not gotten the attention He desired and deserved.  I also think God expects a lot from me as He does from all of us.  The bible says, "all things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose," Romans 8:28.  While I have certainly loved Him and was called by Him, my actions have been more about my purpose than His purpose.  I think we should all examine our lives and see what our purpose is today.

A NEW MAP
In all that has happen over the last 7 months, God gave me a new GPS.  It has lifetime map updates much like the new units you can buy in stores today.  He started with getting my attention in a way that I could understand.  He helped me to see what I could not see by myself.  He helped me to see that I was putting other things before Him and the time that He wanted and deserved from ME He was going to get.  It brought about some very humbling experiences for me in the last 7 months.  It made me realize pride, ego, internal self-arrogance and self-will can get in the way of being what God wants me to be.  It made me realize that the only way my life here on earth would be fulfilling was to absolutely put God first.  Matthew 6:24 says you can't serve two master, you either choose God and service to Him or you choose service to the ways of man and yourself.  God has the map I need and that you need, it is His word the Bible.  The destination we all desire is heaven and the only way to get there is through God and His word.  My map or your map won't work.  Things of this world will go away (Matt. 6:19-20) but God wants us to spend eternity with Him.  I am trying to better follow Him with my GPS and use the lifetime update maps that can only be found in the Bible, His word.  Make sure your direction is the way He would have you go no matter what changes you need to make in your life today to make God pleased with you.  While the changes might be a challenge, the short and long-term benefits are unmeasurable.    

Comments

Popular Posts