New Year's Day TODAY

I have decided that New Year's Day should be everyday.  I have been the guy in the past that made the LIST of new years resolutions.  I have been the guy that met some of them and missed some of them.  In recent years, my philosophy has changed on the subject and I share it now with you.

SELF HONESTY TODAY
If I approach everyday as the "new" day, then I am more likely to be honest with myself.  There are those of us who, when wanting to start a diet say, "I am going to start in two weeks or the first of the year" or whatever.  Or you are going to quit smoking, or watch less TV or read your Bible more or whatever it is for you.  Here is the bottom line on what is important for starting or stopping something.  Everyday is "New Year's Day" for whatever is important for you to do for yourself, for your family or for God.  Stop procrastinating and make today the best day it can be for all the right reasons.  I hear so many people that have had more birthdays than I say, "I got out of bed this morning so it was a great day!"  So many times we don't approach life that way.  We need to look for the good in everyday and make that day what it needs to be and it all starts with being honest with ourselves.

THE MAN (WOMAN) IN THE MIRROR
There is a poem I have ran on this blog before with the title above.  The bottom line of the poem is this.  If life is not or has not been what you wanted or want it to be, blame no one but the person you see when you look in the mirror.  This is yet another level of self-honesty.  When you communicate with other people, you look them in the eye.  Maybe sometimes we need to talk to ourselves.  Try this.  Go to a mirror in your residence where no one else can "hear" your conversation with yourself.  Look in the mirror.  Look at yourself in YOUR EYES.  Now, get the conversation started.  What do you want to talk about?  What do you LIKE about what is happening in your life?  What do you NOT like about what is happening in your life?  This is a great starting place to really get to the root of how you feel about what you have happening in your life.  If you are honest, there will be things that you like and things that you don't like.  Don't be too hard on yourself, but don't be too easy either.  Be realistic about what you CAN do something about and what you CANNOT do something about.  But, do what you can and the conversation with SELF gets easier.

WHY BOTHER?
You might say all of this sounds silly.  OK, maybe so.  But, don't knock it before you try it.  Make today your New Year's Day.  Be committed to making your life the best life it can be one day at a time.  There will be detractors, doubters and people/things that are an outright negative influence on your life and the way you want to live it.  But, for me I know I can do all things through Jesus Christ who strengthens me.  I need His strength to take the place of strength I don't always have.  And if I will let Him be with me, I will be honest with myself most everyday.  Then, I will recognize what needs to change and rise in the morning making every day my New Year's Day.  Make today and everyday the very best it can be no matter what your circumstances in life.  Look for the good, don't focus on the bad and live life to it's fullest.

Comments

Popular Posts