What YOU CAN Do Something About

In thinking about what I was going to post this week, I have changed my mind no less than 4 times.  And, ultimately what I am writing about is as a result of conversations I have had with a number of people in just the last week.

WHAT I CANNOT CONTROL.  Have you ever stopped to think about the elements of your life and living over which you have absolutely no control?  Well, there are lots of those things over which we have no control.  Some are big issues and some are not so big issues.  Do we have any control over the basic price of gas for vehicles or the cost of energy for our homes or how the local, state and federal government values taxes?  I think you know the answer to all of these questions.  In these situations, we can only control the amount of gas we consume or the setting on the thermostat or the value of our assets which will be taxed.  But, ultimately, most of those types of issues are not something we can have direct impact on directly at the root of their cost.  There are also things over which we have no control like a family members illness or even worse death.  Those last two are much more difficult to deal with, especially if you  like to be in control.  So, what is the answer to how you deal with things you cannot control.  Recognize, understand and admit, you have no control over those things!  More on this in the wrap up.

WHAT I CAN CONTROL.  There are things and really many things in life over which I do have control. And for me personally, I have to start very basic and fundamental.  I can control what I eat.  Eating has really become a national pass time.  We seem to eat for recreation, out of boredom, because we are nervous or just because the food is there.  This is something I have dealt with since they pulled the "huskies" out from under the counter where "all of the normal people's clothes" were displayed when I was a young boy.  But today, I have the ability to control what I eat.  I just have to want to control it enough to do what it takes to make it happen.  And, then there are the excuses.  I don't have time.  I have too many other obligations.  I am really happy the way that I am (please).  The toughest part of controlling what I can control is taking control of myself.  And, ultimately I discovered a few years ago that for ME (maybe not you) to have control, I had to give control of my life away to God.  Now I am not trying to preach a sermon here but what I discovered was that for me to have control, I had to quit trying to "pack the load of life" on my shoulders and give that load to God.  And, I have found when I give God the heaviest issues in my life to carry for me, then I can deal with the other parts that I need to deal with and that I personally can do something about.


DON'T WORRY.  So really the equation is not that difficult.  Do what you can about the things you can do something about and don't worry about the rest.  Determine what you want to accomplish, set your goals and develop an action plan.  Recognize what you CANNOT CONTROL and what you CAN CONTROL.  And, if you believe in God and you are willing to give Him the "heavy lifting" then everything else will be easier to deal with too.  For me, when I recognize and follow this formula, there is really nothing I cannot achieve if I stick to the plan.  And, ultimately, I feel better about myself and everyone that I encounter every day of my life.  Is my life perfect?  Do I run into situations everyday which challenge me?  Do I have difficult days, weeks, months, even years?  The answer would be yes, yes and yes.  But, the good news is that when I do control the things I can, everything else falls into place just a little bit easier.  Next week.....choices.  Have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts